Plum Island is a barrier island off the northern coast of Massachusetts where the Parker River and the Merrimack River flow into the Gulf of Maine. It contains a mix of summer and year-round residences, the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, and Sandy Point State Park. Plum Island is split among Newburyport, Newbury, Rowley, and Ipswich. Newburyport is best known as the oldest and most historic seaport in Massachusetts, and as a renowned shipbuilding center in days of old. More recently, Plum Island has become a popular destination and tourist attraction in its own right. Boasting incredible Restaurants and unique excursion opportunities (such as bird-watching, ocean kayaking, and fishing), Plum Island is the perfect spot for a getaway.
The island is perhaps best known as an outstanding birding spot, as it is a natural stop off on many bird migration paths. Birders come from all over the world to experience this area on Plum Island. Kayaking has also become one of the most enjoyable and popular sports on Plum Island and the surrounding basin waters and inland water areas. Most of our rental houses in Plum Island Beach Rentals are either on the ocean waterfront, or the basin waterfront areas. As a guest at one of Plum Island Beach Rentals’ properties, guests enjoy direct access to the water, featuring a beautiful sandy beach, where low and high tides allow for a number of outdoor activities and create beautiful views both day and night.
For more information on Plum Island please go to the Plum Island Website.
Did you know?
- Plum Island Beach was voted one of America’s best beaches, here on the beautiful northeast Coastline.
- 7 mile long stretch of island beach. Just ½ mile bridge connecting the Newburyport area to this island.
- Most of island is an unpopulated beach and marsh area sanctuary.
- There is no traffic and no hassle in this cute and quaint New England area.
- Guests can enjoy exceptional fishing from the island or take advantage of charters and whale-watching trips that leave right from Plum Island.
On the island there are are a variety of restaurants, stores and other activities. Fishing, bird-watching, and aerial tours are just some of the activities available on the island. Plum Island is just minutes from the town of Newburyport and has been called “the next Nantucket.” Guests can enjoy shopping, art galleries, fine restaurants, and plenty of entertainment in this quaint yet chic seaside town.